Skip to content
WARMING SPANISH BEANS IN TOMATO SAUCE
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika (pimenton dulce) – or hot paprika if you like it spicy
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 x 400ml tins butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 x 400ml tins plum tomatoes
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 large handfuls spinach, roughly chopped
- Fresh crusty Bread
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onions and fry, stirring continuously, for 3-5 minutes until translucent but not browned. Add the garlic, paprika and bay leaves and fry for a further minute. Add the beans and tomatoes (plus chorizo, if using). Stir and break up the tomatoes a bit, then season with salt and pepper. Stir well and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes, checking regularly so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. As it finishes, stir the spinach through to wilt.
- Serve hot or cold, as tapas or a side dish, sprinkled with the fresh parsley.